We are committed to encouraging an awareness of popular visual culture and are happy to share the rich resources of our archive for scholarly research, or even anyone who is keen to develop their interests.
The CIViC archive is open to the general public and for research purposes only through our office, and is accessible during our regular office hours.
We charge no fee for this service, but request that you help us plan your visit and keep some important information in mind when you arrive.
Plan your visit
Monday – Saturday, 10.00am – 5.00pm
Excluding national and public holidays (for a list please click here)
Before you visit
Please help us make your visit as smooth as possible by filling out the enquiry form below:
- Let us know your reasons for wishing to access our archive
- Which of our collections are you interested in?
- Images (Lithographic Collection, Photographic Collection, Surabhi Theatre Collection, Sivakasi Press Collection)
- Multimedia Clips (Surabhi Theatre Collection)
- Details of when you would like to visit. Please notify us at least 48 hours in advance. Our staff will get back to you confirming your appointment.
Kindly also bring the following documents at the time of your first visit:
One of the following forms of identification:
- Student/ staff ID card
- Driver’s License
- PAN Card
- A letter of reference from your supervisor (if a student)/ a letter of introduction from your department/ university/ organisation endorsing your reasons for wishing to access our archive.
During your visit
- We will help you complete a registration form.
- We will help you navigate our database so that you can make the most of your visit.
- We will ask you to sign a daily log book.
As this is a digitized collection, it will be available for searching and viewing via a dedicated terminal at our office. Original materials are not available for examination at this time. We are a small office, and so do not have any facilities for storage, or a canteen service for meals.
Accessing our archive is free of charge. We will also allow you to take away printouts of your search results (not catalogue entries). However, copying images for reference purposes onto personal storage devices is strictly prohibited.
During your visit, you can identify and request us for 15 images, 5 multimedia clips, or 10 images + 5 multimedia clips in one request, free of charge. Images above 15 will incur a nominal fee. Please click here to see our table of fees to determine what might be applicable to you. Fees are both calculated and payable in INR. Details of payment methods and processing times (although we will try and fulfil your request immediately during a personal visit), and cancellations & refunds are all available along with the fee chart.